Friday, May 1, 2015

I was at the Dawn Parade, there was roughly 2000 people.  The four army trucks went past with two people in each army truck.  The army people marched down the road and then they turned and went towards the cenotaph.  All of the public marched behind the soldiers and they were wearing their medals. The four gun shots didn't give me a fright because you knew that they were coming.
Henrietta's sister Thea said a karakia, we had to have a silent moment to remember the soldiers that had fought for our country.  The flag went up the pole.  Three planes went past in a line, they came back around and went in a row, sometimes they had two at the front and one at the back.  At the end they said that we will remember them.  
I was feeling a bit tired, I couldn't really see Thea talking but there was a big screen.  My great grandpa was in the first world war and my other great grandpa was in the second world war.
I thought about my great grandads who died in the war to help our country.



Image result for poppy

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this piece of writing Ruby. I am so pleased your family took you to the dawn parade. It is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this piece of writing Ruby. I am so pleased your family took you to the dawn parade. It is very special.

    ReplyDelete